Monday, September 16, 2013

Photos from my childhood in Guam


When people ask me what it was like to grow up in Guam, I usually reply, "Well, there were a lot of power outages." But for some reason, that answer isn't enough, so I uploaded some photos I found from my childhood to share with everyone. I hope you enjoy!

March 1997 - A rogue brown tree snake gets tangled in a transformer and causes an island-wide power outage - in the middle of Social Studies! Here's me and my BFF (right) working on our multiplication tables.

December 2002 - Guam was hit by Supertyphoon Pongsona, the worst typhoon to hit the island. This photo was taken right after the heavy winds knocked down the power lines in my village.

February 2005 - Hanging out with the gang, drinking beer at night. Guam's drinking laws sure were a lot more relaxed back then! I'm pretty sure this was Matapang Beach in Tumon, but I'm not sure.
September 1999 - My first boyfriend! I kept trying to take a picture of him, but he kept running away, screaming, "Get away from me you psycho! I don't even know who the hell you are!" He then picked up a coconut and threw it at my camera the second I finally took a picture.
January 2000 - First day back from winter break! Oh, and the power was out. 
June 2001 - Sunset from Jones Cliff. Well, seven hours after sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment